Monday, August 10, 2009

Bad Tech: Polaroid Corporation

I'm breaking with my theme early on to tell you all about the terrible and unprofessional business practices of Polaroid Corporation.

Last November I bought a new 4011-TLXB Polaroid LCD Television (yes, Polaroid makes LCD TVs) which broke in May. No problem, right? It's under warranty, so even though Circuit City had gone out of business since I bought the TV, Polaroid would still honor the warranty...right? WRONG!

After hours on the phone with two different call centers (both of which promised service) and 2 1/2 months, I am yet again being told that Polaroid has adopted a policy of refusing repairs for products sold by Circuit City. The problem is that I bought my TV before Circit City's bankruptcy and Polaroid's warranty, which they send out with their products and have on their website, provides no provision for doing this (I've even asked a lawyer for his opinion).

What's my recourse? I've been told that I'll have to "take it up with corporate." The "corporate" phone numbers listed on Polaroid.com never connect you to a Polaroid employee and the automated system simply redirects you to the very people who refuse to do anything. I even resorted to leaving a message on the HR answering machine requesting updated contact information for the individual they tell you to email , Dan Anderson (when I emailed him, I got a mailerdemon reply), but of course no phone calls are returned.

Today I found a new email address for the Director of Marketing and Brand Management, but somehow I don't expect to hear from Lorrie Parent any time soon. I have been researching complaints about Polaroid and aside from making products that fail just past the end of the warranty, terrible customer service seems to be their top priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment