Wednesday, August 12, 2009

TED- Gordon Brown: Wiring a Web for Global Good

I've become a HUGE fan of TED since I discovered it several months ago. Lately, I've taken to watching a TED Talk on my lunch break. Today's lunchtime video, Gordon Brown: "Wiring a web for global good" in which Brown lays out a challenge to leverage the connectivity of modern communication to spread media which connects people to and "confront[s] the challenges of poverty, security, climate change and the economy."

Brown delivers an excellent message, drawing on examples from Tiananmen Square, the 2007 protests in Burma, and the recent protests and crack down in post-election Iran. He concludes his talk with a comparison I've heard David Gergan say like this, "When Cicero spoke, people said, 'come, let us think.' When Demosthenes spoke, people said, 'come, let us march!'" Brown implores us to use technology in such a way that people march!

No comments:

Post a Comment